leen

Books & Coffee

“There is no friend as loyal as a book.” ― Ernest Hemingway

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I had very high expectations for this book, because of all the great things I heard about it. I immediately liked the book, but at first I didn’t think it was that different or better than other books. I was already starting the wonder why everyone loved it so much when the story just completely hit me. While reading the book, I was expecting Hazel would die at the end, and I really wish she wouldn’t but I was prepared for it. Augustus getting sick again wasn’t something I was prepared for. John Green was really brilliant (and also kind of horrible, because I cried) to come up with that, because while Hazel was scared that she was a grenade and that she would hurt Gus by loving him, Gus turned out to be the grenade in the story. Many times, mostly at the end of the story, I could see little bits of myself in the characters and in the things they thought and said. That’s one of the things I love most about John Green’s writing, that sometimes he writes exactly what I am thinking. What I also love about his books, is the fact that the characters are all so smart. They seem to understand life in a way most people don’t. That’s maybe why Augustus’s eulogy for Hazel was my favorite part of the book, because it was so smart of him to notice her way of being and thinking like that, and because her way of being is so incredibly smart. I really loved this book, it’s one of those books you want to read over and over again.