leen

“There is no friend as loyal as a book.” ― Ernest Hemingway

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

2.5

I’m not sure if this book fulfilled my expectations or not. At first I was expecting a lot of it, because there was this really positive comment by John Green on the back cover, but after I read a few bad reviews about it, I lowered my expectations.I must say I liked the story.

It was (of course) very unbelievable, but that didn’t really bother me. It was a fast read and I enjoyed all the peculiar things. I also really liked the pictures, because they gave the story a darker sphere and they made the book seem less like a children’s book. But to be honest, these were the only things I really liked about the book.

I can’t really tell how I felt about the characters. There was of course some character development, but I didn’t really feel connected to the characters and I don’t think they were described well enough, because I couldn’t really form an image of them in my head. I was actually even a bit indifferent about them sometimes.I also really didn’t feel like there was a message behind the story. To me it felt like just a story about a bunch of kids with special powers. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the story, but to me that was all it was, a story. I didn’t really understand the whole point of the book, especially because it ended with a cliffhanger. I felt like the whole story had just started when the book ended.